Home // Engineering // Metallization // Methods // Mid
Advanced POP Technology 3D-MID
3D-Molded Interconnect Devices consist of circuit traces embedded onto molded thermoplastics to form electrical pathways and landings for surface mount components.
Designing systems with 3D-MID components allows designers to reduce the size, weight, number of components and complexity and to decrease in assembly times and cost by having fewer components, wires and interconnects to assemble.
Contact us for more information.
WHAT THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY OFFERS
- Experiment with design of traces and shielding without having to invest in expensive tooling changes
- Facilitates mass manufacturing
- Designers can choose from a wider variety of thermoplastic materials
- Combine electrical and mechanical functionality
- Maximize the use of space where components are placed at different heights and in different declinations
MID technology eliminates many limitations imposed by traditional metal-based connectors, replacing them with selectively plated moldable plastics and other composite materials.
- Integrated Connector
- Radar Filter
- Interior lighting
Mobile phone antennas are the largest application for MID components with hundreds of millions manufactured annually.
- Mobile device antennas
- RFID Antennas
- Notebook & Tablet Antennas
Facilitates the addition of sensors and driver assistance devices without adding unnecessary weight compared to wiring harnesses
- Driver Controls
- Brake Sensors
- LED Lights
The increased functionality of MIDs allows manufacturers to differentiate their electronic systems.
- Lead Frame & Wire Bond Packaging
- Pressure Sensors
- Motion Sensors
Emerging demand in the medical market for devices that transmit information from patients at home to doctors in hospitals
- Glucose meter
- Hearing Aids
- Insulin doser
MacDermid are currently working in collaboration with the following organizations on this new technology: